Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make big choices in life.
—Steve Jobs, Commencement Address
I am a member of End of Life Doula UK and have completed an Introduction to a Person-Centred Approach to Death and Dying course with Living Well Dying Well.
I now teach on the LWDW Foundation Course (www.lwdwtraining.uk) which explores many of the issues in relation to death, dying and the end of life of which, as people, we all should be aware. Becoming more knowledgeable gives you the confidence to be able to support family or friends or as a volunteer in your community. The themes we explore are:
- understanding grief
- emotional and spiritual responses to death
- physical changes at the end of life
- increasing comfort, integrative health and supportive therapies
- rituals and practices within cultural and faith groups
- socio-legal requirements and Advanced Planning
- spiritual and self-care practices
- funeral directors’ practices
It is so important to be aware of the issues surrounding death and dying so that we can help our loved ones, an eventually ourselves, to be as prepared as possible.
Always remember – There are only two things that are certain in life – death and taxes!!
My book, Funeral Arranging and End of Life Choices, a Step by Step Guide, was published by Troubador Press/The Book Guild in June 2022.